Thursday 24 February 2011

Spring is coming

I have been busy with changing jobs and having a life and such. Harry has moved fields again and is back in my village - I feel so happy when he's in the village. He's growing well, where he is situated is on a hill, and his hay is on the top of a hill covered with tarpaulin which means he has been getting used to flappy noisy tarpaulin every day - it means food. And also me climbing the fence and leaping down next to him every day - preparation for dismounting and riding, having someone above him. He is sooooo wonderful what can I say I love that pony. Nothing phases him.
I have scrapped all my plans for the now, am just going to go with the flow. Probably still do some shows, maybe he'll trot this time! who knows.
I have been reading up about horses growth plates and found out they have loads all along their spine which don't stop till they're 6 1/2 - 7, so I can relax on the whole starting him idea, we have 5 years to go still!! I also have got a new book on in hand training so that gives us something else to do - watch this space!
After reading Karen Pryors book Reaching the Animal Mind, all about clicker training and different animals etc it's really got me thinking all about positive reinforcement, clicker training etc. I haven't started CT with Harry partly because I'm lazy but also I'm not really doing anything with him so... I shall wait till the days get longer. But it's reassuring to know the way I've handled Harry so far - just following my instincts, has all been along the lines of CT, which is that I've done it all through positive reinforcement, I just didn't give it a name. We're on the right path :)

No comments:

Post a Comment